Thursday, February 14, 2008

First round…. almost done

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone.

My first round of treatment went well today. It was a very long day, 8:15am to nearly 4pm, but it was uneventful and so I’m going to consider this a glowing success. It seemed like an endless succession of bag after bag of drugs and each one took approximately an hour to run in. The best part is that the dreaded bouts of nausea and vomiting have not surfaced and with a little luck maybe they never will. Other then feeling a bit droopy I’m doing OK right now.

The “almost done” part has to do with the fact that the 3rd chemo drug, 5FU, is something that I get to take home and infuse via pump over 5 days. Yep, 5 days. So I have a new personal appendage through next Tuesday afternoon. It’ll be a challenge but an easy one. A nurse will come to the house on Tuesday and detach the pump from my mediport.

I also have a quick update on the status of the Mintz’s Mentschen cycling TEAM. There are currently 5 people signed up for the Aug. 24th event in Philadelphia and 7 for the Oct. 25th Austin event. And believe it or not donations are already being collected! While I wish that I wasn’t the honoree for this effort I can’t possibly be any more humbled and genuinely excited about this. I can’t wait to ride with and/or provide sag support for the TEAM as the weather warms up and training begins. That the name of this team directly includes “Mentschen” couldn’t possibly be more appropriate.

6 comments:

DD said...

So glad to hear things went well today, sounds like a long day. The Austin team is shaping up...looking forward to being back on the bike with my favorite TEAMmates!!

Dan Nies said...

Make that 8 for Austin - Doctor Danielle Hart just joined! One medical twin down - one to go!

Dan Nies said...

I spoke too soon - Nurse Gentile joined this morning. Grrrraaaow

caren said...

Add one to the Philly team...I just signed up today! I am honored to ride for you Jack, Stay strong!

Nell said...

Hey Jack, I'm thinking of you all the time. I'm so glad you can share this with us. John just told me he is going to get off his couch potato butt and do your ride! -Nell

Dan Nies said...

17 Team Members as of noon on Saturday.