Friday, February 8, 2008

And so we begin

Amy and I met with an oncologist, Dr. David Richards, yesterday and the process of beginning treatment via chemotherapy is underway. I think we lucked out big time because he's not only a good doctor but even more important is that he seems like a terrific person. He spent a lot of time with us, introduced us to many of his staff, and gave us a tour of his office. Dr. Richards was comprehensive, compassionate, to the point, and provided us with all of the practical information we could absorb for how the chemo process works and what to expect.

Dr. Richards actually tried to reach the doctors at MSKCC to consult regarding the selection of chemo drugs right as we sat there. I was impressed by his sense of urgency to get this going. Unfortunately he didn’t connect with them right away and will follow-up today.

The chemotherapy treatments are done right there in his office and the best part is that it's close to home. It's in Somerset which is only about 20-25 minutes from our house and they have another office that's actually closer that I may also be able to take treatment at. The treatments will be approximately every 2 weeks for an undetermined amount of time. Periodic CT and PET scans will be used to gauge the success of the treatments.

On Monday, 2/11 I have to go for a chemo tutorial and on Wednesday, 2/13 I’ll be having a mediport inserted in my chest at Saint Peter’s University Hospital in New Brunswick. I don't know how long they have to wait after that to begin the first treatment.

By the way, the comments on this blog are greatly appreciated and have been very very humbling. I truly feel the love and support. Hey! I’m even a recipient of healing vibes from the Allman Brothers Band "Peach'o'Gram" newsletter.

Just in case anyone wants to email me directly ==> jhm100@gmail.com

1 comment:

BigJack said...

Hi Little Jack,
You are my inspiration. So, let's go see the Allman Brothers at the Beacon.