Friday, March 14, 2008

Friday, March 14th

I’m really dragging today but I know there are probably some people out there wanting some info so I’ll do my best.

Yes, I counted the minutes on Tuesday but Lana arrived on schedule and disconnected me from the IV pump. I was free and definitely looking forward to a quick recovery since I had come through the 6-day treatment period relatively unscathed. I immediately jumped into a long hot shower but unfortunately I was then dealt another dose of reality. It hasn’t been a total nightmare but since then I’ve had an ongoing reminder of what is really going on here… I’m receiving chemotherapy.

The side affects that occur throughout the GI tract, starting in my mouth and right on through the other end (yep, that end), have come back to say hello. My tongue isn’t as bad as last time but my throat has something going on that is making it incredibly difficult to eat/drink. Not to mention that my stomach just won’t settle down. Basic bodily functions that we all take for granted are making things very uncomfortable.

Bailey served as co-pilot for my visit to Dr. Richards yesterday. I felt bad to have to drag her along but it was fun for me to have her with me so that I could show off my kids. She was a hit with Dr. Richards and the nurses. I received some IV fluids to re-hydrate as well as my Neulasta injection. Bailey handled my getting poked and prodded as well as the overall setting of the oncology treatment area right in stride. Maybe it’s because there was also the distraction of watching “The View” on TV?

Dr. Richards said that we’d probably do a CT scan after round #3. I didn’t ask him any “what if” questions since I didn’t see any real value of having him look into his crystal ball. We’ll take it as it comes. He did mention that I’d continue losing hair. My moustache that is barely clinging to existence will likely disappear and my eyebrows and eyelashes will thin a bit. Meanwhile, the stubble of hair that is left on my head is clearly getting shinier and shinier… LOL.

6 comments:

pam said...

You watched "The View" with someone else? I am beside myself!

Slugman said...

Hey Jack! Besides myself, I'm sure everybody following your blog are anxious to hear the results of that CT! After talking to you though, it sounds very promising if you're doing much better swallowing!

Okay Al, I just left the door WIDE open for one of your "favorite bird" comments...!

I'm not going to be able to check your blog for a while... Time to go under the knife... http://dougsgift.blogspot.com. You can bet when I'm healthy enough I'll be checking in, though!

Good luck with your recovery and I'll catch up ASAP! Looks like I'll have quite a bit of time around the house to bug you...

Hey, loved the egghead, too! I'll have to bug Annie for some goofy pix, too!

BigJack said...

Hang in there, Jack. I know your doc probably wants to be very aggressive with you. I hope you get some relief from the side effects. How about some corned beef and cabbage-I'll put it in the blender!

DD said...

Jack,

We missed you out there this morning. Did the Woody's run from Burlington. Had some new team members with us too. Hope you got the pic we sent. Keep smiling, your optimism is amazing! Hope you're feeling better soon, even without the mustache!!

Unknown said...

Jack,
Been in balmy Milwaukee so just catching up. Glad the girls had some time together. Steph really enjoyed being with you and Erin. She is excited about being on the team.

Loved the egg basket and your pic while in treatment. Maybe we should just call ya "cueball" for short.

Hope those side effects disappear quickly. Let me know when you feel up to another ride, the weather is starting to cooperate.

Dan

RuthieD said...

Hello Jack, I'm an online music friend of your Uncle Jack. We love the same music, mainly the Allman Brothers Band. The best band around!!

Your optimism while having these treatments is wonderful. I wish you all the best.

Sending you positive thoughts and prayers.