Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sunday, April 13th

The good news that came on Friday was, needless to say, such a relief. I don’t know how many chemo treatments this is going to take but knowing that it’s working makes all the difference in the world. I long for a return to normalcy but if it means that it will take more then 6 treatments to get there then so be it.

Not only did I get peace of mind from the CT scan results but it has also helped to stir me into action. Sure, I was trying to cycle at every opportunity but that’s only been few and far between since the treatments started in mid-February. But with the good news and that I was going to be home alone on Friday night I opted for a visit to the gym instead. I hadn’t been to the gym since November when I wasn’t feeling well and my initial doctor visits actually began. 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer and some stretching never felt so good! It didn’t matter that I had jelly legs as I stepped off of the elliptical… it’s the beginning of my road back. I am going to make an extra effort to get to the gym for simple aerobic work.

That was capped by the 18 miles I cycled today with the Mintz’s Mentschen group out of Washington’s Crossing. The cool temps, wind, and spotty sunshine didn’t make any difference. We had a great turnout and it was great to see and have the chance to ride with everyone. The problem is that I’ll need to wait 3 weeks for the chance to get out there again.

Here’s a picture that Stephanie Tobler took of me reviewing the cue sheet with Dan. Don’t we look spiffy in our LiveStrong cycle jerseys? Sorry for the view of our backsides I promise to take more attractive pics going forward. LOL.



And the exploits of Amy’s Army continue… homemade cookies from Dee and the fruit basket that Irene brought by today are just terrific. Thank you all so much.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Hey.....Spiffy yellow jersey. Is that you in PANTS??!! I am soooo.... glad you were able to get out for a ride. I hope I can make the trek across the state to join you guys next time.

Here's a laugh.....I was working at the Shrimp Box last night and in walk Ron and Heather Minsky. "Wow! How nice to see you guys." Ron tells me he has to give me a check for the fund raiser, I say fine, whenever. We chat about the team ...BLA, BLA, BLA. Another hostess goes to sit them and he tells her "We are here for Helen's Fundraiser." THEY WERE 1 MONTH EARLY! LOL!!! Talk about making sure you are on time. Well. since they a already had a baby sitter they stayed for dinner and we had a fun time catching up. They look great. Jack we are here for you!!

BigJack said...

This is why you are my current hero! You have faced this difficult time with courage, grace, and an incredible attitude. keep up the good work-you already know it wont be easy, but you are The Man for the task.
Love you and see you soon.
Uncle Jack