Thursday, July 14, 2011

Overwhelmed with sadness

My high school friend, Scott Winters, who entered hospice not more than 2 weeks ago has passed.
I'm very sad and at a loss for words at the moment. Following is the Facebook post from his wife.

With a great sorrow and profound sadness I announce the passing of my husband and best friend Scott Winters,on Tuesday evening,at twilight. Scott was a quiet man about his illness, many people not knowing of his diagnosis until he told friends when it was absolutely necessary. In honesty, he wanted to fight this battle full focus, sparing his friends and colleagues the stories of the pain and fear of Lynch Syndrome,a rare form of colon cancer (Katie Couric's husband Jay also had this hereditary based disease). Please keep our beautiful children in your thoughts and prayers. James is attending Bard College in early August (majoring in literature), and Olivia, who turned 14 on Mother's Day, is attending the Honors program at LaSalle Academy(following in her brother's footsteps). It is a time for rest and reflection now, because as I told our children,"We all had cancer, we lived it every day for two years and six months. Daddy is free now; no more pain." We love you Scott, and always will.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Oh Jack...If I could only take the pain away.

Jack said...

Love ya Helen. I'm OK but the reminders that cancer sucks really weren't necessary as I know we all agree. See you soon.