Sunday, July 31, 2011

Excitement of August.... PET/CT and LiveSTRONG event

Although my recent jaunts on the bike had been a real struggle there was no way that I wasn’t going to give it another shot this weekend. After all, treatment #13 is on Tuesday and, therefore, I won’t be doing anything for a week or so. So I went back to my tried and true flat local 27-mile route and made a slight tweak to the usual flight plan. Instead of our Mentschen motto of “start slow and ease up” I set out with a mindset of “ease up and then ease up some more”. And it worked! The weather was fabulous and that certainly helped but I cruised through and had the mind and body cleansing experience I was desperately needing.

Considering that for the first 3 years of my cancer battle I never had to exceed 7 or 8 cycles of chemo in any one year that Tuesday will be treatment 13 for 2011 is definitely weighing heavy on my mind. As I’ve been describing, the cumulative effects of the FOLFIRI chemo are starting to take hold so I look forward to the PET/CT that is scheduled for Monday, August 8th and hope that it brings me news of remission and a chemo vacation for a while.

My thoughts right now are with my LiveSTRONG friend Anne Chen who is climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro as I type. Anne lives in Denmark and is a LiveSTRONG Grassroots volunteer that I met in an online group for LiveSTRONG. Although our relationship has been 100% over the internet I have come to know Anne as an amazing person that not only advocates for cancer survivors but that fights in the war against cancer through projects and organizations above and beyond LiveSTRONG. She has joined the Mentschen team and will be with us at the event in Philly. I can’t wait to meet her and to hear all about her African adventure.

Preparation for the LiveSTRONG event in Philly is coming down to the wire with the event itself only 3 weeks away. The first batch of2011 Mintz’s Mentschen cycling jerseys have arrived and the excitement is building. My fundraising total is now over $4,000 and the team total is above $19,600. If you can consider a donation that will help us to drive beyond the $20,000 that would be fantastic. My personal fundraising page can be accessed by clicking here.

No comments: