Friday, May 16, 2008

Treatment #5 update

While it’s been a full week since I last posted it certainly hasn’t been a dull week. As you know there was Helen Ihde’s LiveSTRONG challenge dinner and that was quickly followed by a trip to northern Virginia for Erin’s graduation from George Mason.

As far as treatment #5 itself is concerned the pattern of side affects appearing sooner and lingering a bit longer then usual is continuing. So that there’s no doubt on what this means let me make it clear that this is NOT a good thing. Only a couple of days into the IV treatment for this round and I was already feeling some discomfort in my mouth and a general aversion to eating. I knew right away this was a big, “uh oh”. Other then not being able to eat well, and dropping to a weight I probably haven’t seen since high school, I’m hanging in as best I can. I’m definitely driving Amy nuts at this point but the process of being extremely hungry yet unable to eat just messes with my head and mood. My visit to Dr. Richards office today didn’t shed any new light on this other then we can look forward to there being only one more treatment before a probable “rest” from the chemo process. In addition to the Neulasta injection I took on a full liter and a half of IV fluids without even thinking about having to go to the bathroom. Can you say, “dehydrated”?

Despite my inability to really partake in the festivities that were specific to eating we had a nice day for Erin’s graduation in Fairfax, VA yesterday. Amy and I will be heading back down bright and early tomorrow for round 2 of the festivities.

Hello Amy's Army. Thank you for the flowers and watermelon that appeared during the week!

And of course, my parting update on Mintz’s Mentschen exploits. As Dan Nies has reported we gained some new TEAM members in conjunction with LiveSTRONG Challenge day and now have a grand total of 56 team members. Our TEAM fundraising is now at $15,690. Helen’s fundraising dinner was an incredible success on Tuesday. In addition to raising over $2,000 Helen was able to organize a fun and tremendously meaningful evening for all that attended. Barbara Rabinowitz from the Meridian Health System spoke about survivorship myths and Helen delivered a heartfelt message about her personal mission in support of cancer-related causes. As I had hoped, everyone from my family was able to attend (except Erin down in VA), as well as my parents, and brother. Phyllis and Jack even made it on time from Colorado. As usual, thank-you just doesn’t seem to do the evening justice but it’s about all I can say. On behalf of my family, many hugs and thanks to Helen as well as all that were able to attend.

6 comments:

webstar106 said...

Hey there,
Here is my take on how your feeling.
As the cancer decreases in the body the chemo acts upon the good cells. The worst you feel, after treatment, the less cancer there is.
When i went thru the treatmens for 6 months, i use to bounce back in a day. At the end of the 6 months it took 3 to 4 days to get back to myself.
So as far as i am concerned this is a good thing. Right now you cant see it but when we look back it will be great.
Have a great time in VA and we will talk to you soon.
Jules

Tara D said...

Hey Jack,

Just wanted you to know the Dailey's are thinking of you "daily". Keep hanging in there! Hopefully we will get a chance to hang out again soon. Say hi to Amy.

Tara, Chris, and Emma

Unknown said...

Hey Jack,

Congrats on Erin's Graduation. Know you two were the proudest Mom and Dad in the crowd!

Sorry to hear about the side effects. We will have to plan some BRT (Beer Replenishment Therapy) when you are up to it!

Will talk to you soon.

Congrats to Erin
Dan and Sherry.

BigJack said...

Hi Jack,
It was wonderful seeing you and being able to also go to Erin's graduation in Va. But, it was hard seeing your discomfort. Like Jules, I do believe that it will get worse before it gets better because the doctors need to be aggressive-but enough of that, since you know it already.
Today is Phyllis' last full day back in NJ and I know you are all getting together, so, while I am happy to be home in Colorado, I'm sorry I wont be there for the get together. I hope you are feeling well enough to eat and enjoy some time with everyone.
Love,
Jack

DD said...

Hey Jack,
Congrats on your first college graduate!!

Went out with Gary for 40 today...he's fat and out of shape! Sounds familiar doesn't it?!!

Be well.

DJ said...

Jack,

First - congratulations on graduating your first daughter from college! Mission accomplished on one of nearly every parent's priority goals.

Second - thank you for sharing your experiences and insights through your blog. Although this is my 1st post, I have been checking in often w/ great interest and concern. Your sense of humor is amazing.

Good luck with treatment # six!

DJ