Saturday, May 31, 2008

Gee, some birthday present

After the usual routine of checking my weight and accessing my medi-port so that they could take some blood to check my blood counts we discussed ongoing treatment plans with Dr. Richards. Much to the surprise of both Amy and I we found ourselves reviewing the written treatment protocol that had been provided by Sloan-Kettering and instead of the treatment pause that we had expected we are going to continue with the same 3-week treatment cycles as we have since February.

As you’d expect this decision is a huge bummer as I was very excited to have a normal summer so that I could train some for my own participation in the Philly LiveSTRONG event with our Mintz’s Mentschen TEAM. Amy and I were also going to take the opportunity this summer for at least a short getaway that would celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary that came and went on April 30th. We’ll just have to play it all by ear from here.

The CT scan that had been expected for early June is now bumped out to early July following treatment #7. I’d expect though that if the results from the scan are good enough that it could prompt renewed discussion regarding the treatment plan. I’ll hold out hope that the treatment pause could come back as a possibility.

Meanwhile treatment #6 is getting off to a sluggish start where I’ve been doing a lot of sleeping. I’m starting this treatment cycle about 5 lbs. down from where I had stabilized so I’m going to be trying very hard to fight through and not lose too much more. Generally I’m doing well at this point but as I’ve found this is always a day-to-day thing.

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes and the ever present words of support.

3 comments:

BigJack said...

Well, that was a curve ball. It took me a day after I read it to reply, so I can only begin to imagine how little you wanted to hear that. I have to believe the protocol is something that has had results, and as little as you want to hear it, I hope you continue with your best attitude.
My thoughts are always with you.
Love,
Jack

DD said...

Hey Jack,
Sorry to hear you have to continue treatment so far into the summer. Keep the positive mental attitude (easier said than done I guess) We are all behind you pushing you up that hill like you have done for so many riders over the past 7 years. Take care.

BigJack said...

Hi LittleJack,
How is the eating going? I hope you are able to keep eating this week.
We are limping around after doing some yardwork. I need a winter activity so my body does not get so shocked. I have to rip down ivy that pigeons (attracted by my neighbor's birdfeeder!) are trying to nest in on both sides of the front of the house. Are you and Amy still thinking about doing your kitchen? It may be a good distraction since remodeling work is infamous for problems with the contractors-every horror story is true! LOL.
Well, I hope you have adjusted to the new course of action.
Love to you and the women of the Mintz clan (big difference this trip with even Sasha having a boy over!)
BigJack