Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Treatment respite for the holidays

Amy and I met with Dr. Richards this afternoon and the punch line on the PET/CT results is that I’ve earned myself a break from chemo for a bit. While the results weren’t pristine the SUV values (standard uptake) were in the range of what Dr. Richards considered to be “background noise”. So I’ll be treatment free for a few months and the next PET/CT will be in mid-January when we get to do this all over again.

In the meantime I’ve already had preliminary discussions with my Chief Sales and Marketing Officer, Dan Nies, and we may be adding an event to the 2010 bicycling season. Before I found myself back in treatment this past April I had been eyeing what I hoped to be a year full of challenging cycling events. Now knowing that I have a minimum of 3 months without treatment I want to get assertive about recovering as much fitness and strength as I possibly can. Maybe I'll even be able to lose a few pounds. Therefore, the Tour de Hot Chocolate may squeeze into the mid to late December timeframe as an end of year 100-mile bike ride. I know it sounds crazy to some of you but considering how I felt on the bike this past weekend I think I can pull it off. We’ll have to come up with a mostly flat course but I think that I’ll be able to cover the distance. And to have a miles ridden number that has 3 digits come up on my bicycling computer will be incredible to see again. It's been a while.

As I mentioned, we did have a ride this past weekend that was absolutely awesome. Considering that I was only 9 days out from my last treatment I’m not quite sure how/why I was feeling so good but I didn’t question it and in beautiful weather I covered just over 37 miles with Dan Nies, Steph Tobler, and Jim Grassi.

I’ll try to not bore you with the play by play of my biking exploits in the coming weeks but please stay tuned for more information regarding the Tour de Hot Chocolate as it all starts to come together. Maybe we can make this a little more interesting then just a cold weather century ride.

No comments: