Monday, April 19, 2010

Third time's a charm

The waiting is over.
Amy and I discussed the PET scan results today with Dr. Richards and we’ve agreed on a plan of attack. We will be rushing to get an MRI done so that we have a baseline on the size of the lesions that have shown up on my liver and we’ll be starting chemotherapy immediately thereafter. Today being Monday this should all start to happen by mid-week next week.

We discussed other treatment options but since my cancer has proven to be responsive to chemotherapy we’re going to continue down the chemo path and utilize two drugs that I haven’t been on yet. This time around will be carboplatin and taxol. As chemo drugs these drugs have their own unique and unpleasant side affects, however, they avoid toxicity issues related to other drugs that we have already used. Anxiety leading up to the first treatment will be centered around the unknown of how I will handle these new drugs. We stopped at the drug store today on the way home to drop off our handful of prescriptions for anti-nausea drugs. But no EMEND this time around. I’m a bit nervous about that but I trust Dr. Richards and his explanation for why it’s not typically used with these drugs.

One thing that I won’t have to be concerned about is the anticipated hair loss that these drugs are supposed to cause. LOL.

My anxieties at this point are specific to plans that are now unsettled and of course all of the unknowns…. Such as, how I’ll handle the treatments, I assume that I won’t be able to risk (due to compromised immune system) going to Colorado to help Sasha move out of her dorm at the end of the semester, I don’t know what level of exercise I’ll be able to handle so the May MS bike ride, day-to-day exercise, and even the August Philly LiveSTRONG event will have to be left in wait and see status. My assumption is that 5,6, 7 treatments down the road I’ll be in remission yet again and counting on this 3rd go round with chemo/cancer to be the charm.

I’ve said this so many times before but it never seems to be enough, therefore, I’ll say it again. With bits and pieces regarding my status making the rounds on Facebook, etc. over the past few days our phone and email has been very busy. A call this evening from my high school track coach, Bob O’Dell, with words of support and encouragement just warms my heart. And the daily emails from new European friends Anne Chen and Chris MacDonald, that I met through the Lance Armstrong Foundation, have really touched me. Mintz's Mentschen is now global! And, of course, the continued cycling with Dan Nies, Stephanie Tobler, and Grace Capato complete with extra hugs this past weekend.

Thank you all.

I guess it’s safe to say that I’ll be posting here with a bit more frequency then I have been in recent months. I’ll try to keep the posts as current as possible.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Jack.....sounds like your cycling has really been ramped up. I am just getting back on my bike. I have not been able to sit in the saddle since last June. 15 miles last weekend was a blast. Know that you are in my prayers. If you are in the Brick area give me a call.

BigJack said...

While I know you want to come out here and I hope you still can, it is much more important to take care of yourself. We'll help Sasha get out and get her on the flight home, if you don't make it.
I hope you get a game plan asap and it does its job. Always thinking of you.