Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday, January 25th, 2009

At this point many readers of my blog are already aware of this but for those that I haven’t managed to call or copy on an email yet….

I know this comes totally out of left field but I need to clue you in on the fact that as of this week I'm in cancer recurrence mode.

I had a PET/CT scan on Monday the 19th that showed a couple of spots that require attention. One is the "original source" of the cancer at the GE junction. It is a bit more prominent of an issue then when it also showed up on my October scan. In October I had a PET/CT that flagged this same spot and I followed up with an endoscopy/biopsy that proved negative so all was good. At this moment it's not entirely clear just how significant this particular spot is but there's now mention of "slightly more mass-like" whereas in October it was just "increased metabolic activity".

There's also a spot on the liver (there was one on the liver last year as well...) that the PET/CT report has flagged as cancer.

So it's very much like deja vu all over again. We’re in the process of scheduling an MRI as well as an endoscopic ultrasound... With those in hand we venture back to Sloan-Kettering on February 4th since they drove the chemo decisions last time and since Dr. Richards said we wouldn't be using the same chemo protocol again. The idea there is that while the cancer went away it also came back... that maybe we should try something different this time.

From what I know right now, and based on my extensive medical background (LOL), we can view all of this as somewhat "less" then last time around. Bottom line though is that while there's still a bit of testing and diagnosis to be done it seems clear that I'll be on some type of chemo in the near future.

More info to follow as it becomes available.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Jack, Our thoughts and love are with you, Amy and the girls as you begin again. You know if we can do anything, you need only ask.
love, Sherry

Ken Carlson said...

Jack, we are behind you buddy all the way. You will kick this recurrence all the way back my friend. Let us know if there is anything you need.

DJ Varner said...

Jack, We were very sorry to hear about the latest results. As always, our thoughts and good wishes go out to you as you prepare for round two.

Let us know if we can pitch in. Janet & DJ

BigJack said...

Jack,
We are sorry to hear this news. You kicked it's butt before and will again. You know the process is not fun, but you are a strong man. I hope the next test helps you get started on 'beating the dragon' again.
We can't wait to see you and Sacha when you visit CSU.
Jack

BigJack said...

Jack,
I should have previewed to see that I mis-spelled Sasha! LOL, don't want her reading the comments and thinking I can't spell her name.

navalero said...

Just picked up my Princeton e-mail which I do twice a year and just got the unwelcome news. Keep the fight going and let me know if there is anything we can do.

navalero said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
navalero said...

Love to Amy and the girls and they can also call on us if they need anything.