Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ramping up....

Sorry… didn’t mean to keep you all hanging on the edge.
And I’m sorry if this doesn’t read all that well but I’m kind of tired at the moment. However, I want to get this info out to everyone while I have the chance.

The pace is quickening a bit in the steps leading up to treatment. Since my last post I have had blood work done at Dr. Richards office for pre-mediport testing and office visits with gastro docs Dr. Fidanzato and Dr. Dahr.

It looks like the endoscopic ultrasound may get postponed since it won’t really have any bearing on the initial treatment protocol. But I am scheduled for both a MUGA scan and MRI of the abdomen on Monday. I’m glad that we were able to get these through insurance approval so quickly because we’ll be able to take the results with us when we go to Sloan-Kettering next Wednesday. It’s when I see Dr. Meng at MSKCC that I expect to hear about the treatment protocol he’s been discussing with Dr. Richards. As I had mentioned in my last post the chemo protocol will be different this time around so I’m eager to learn about the drugs that we’ll be using and just as importantly the details for how they’ll be administered. My specific interest there is to know whether I’ll have to use a pump as I did last time. Wearing the pump for 5-days for each treatment was nasty.

Mixed in with this whirlwind of tests and doctor visits we are squeezing in the last two important college campus visits for Sasha. We’re heading down to North Carolina tomorrow to visit NC State and the following weekend to Colorado to see Colorado State. She has been accepted by both schools and they are both on the short list for a final decision.

We return from Colorado on the evening of February 10th and I’m scheduled to have the mediport put in on the 11th. I’d expect that chemo will begin on the 12th or 13th.

As I’ve asked before, are we having fun yet? LOL.

Yeah, I’m still kind of angry about all of this but generally I’m in the same positive mindset as last time. I’m trying to get myself setup to be able to get some exercise here at home. In that regard an old college track buddy of mine, Ed McNeill (owner of the Lawrenceville Gold’s Gym), is helping to set me up with a spin bike. He said that he’s going to give it to me. How cool is that!?! He doesn’t know it but that immediately makes him an honorary Mintz’s Mentsch. LOL

To be continued…

1 comment:

BigJack said...

Hi Jack,
It is 4:23pm so you have not even left from Denver yet!
I loved seeing you all and sorry about spoiling your mom's surprise visit. We had a great time accompanying you and Sasha to CSU for the visit and delighted that the interview/tour/meeting went so well (despite the high winds that day).
Get as long a night's sleep as you can and please know that my (and everyone who reads/posts here I'm sure) spirit and good vibration will be with you every step. I hope your bad days/times are not as bad as before, but if they are, may the process be as short as possible and very sucessful.
Love you and miss you already,
Jack
PS. I hope some of the music I sent back with you is interesting and enjoyable for you.