Monday, June 25, 2012

Lots going on


Things definitely bogged down there for a bit while going through the liver biopsy itself, waiting for the pathology report, getting an appointment at MSKCC, waiting for further review of the biopsy slides by MSKCC, and then prescription of an MRI and octreotide scan.  Each of those scans were prescribed by both Dr. Janjigian (I’ll be using “Dr. J” from now on because it’s cool and quicker to type) and Dr. Richards so it’s good to know that everyone is on the same page.

MSKCC pathologists wound up agreeing with the original biopsy report (major woohoo since that means I won’t have to be harpooned for another liver biopsy!) and that enabled Dr. J and Dr. Richards to discuss the specific chemo protocol that we’ll be using.  Minimally the new protocol will be composed of VP-16 and a platinum-based drug.  Given that I’ve had cisplatin, oxaliplatin, and carboplatin I’m not sure which one we’ll use.

The MRI is tomorrow afternoon and is of my spine.  This will provide us with imaging that is a follow-up to things that were mentioned on the 5/16 PET/CT scan as well as to discomfort that I’ve had for the past several weeks.  The octreotide scan actually takes place in parts over 3 days (I’m sure that I’ll have some good stories from this one).  This scan will take place in late July and will not impact our ability to start chemo in early July.

I sent my big email blast for LiveSTRONG a couple of weeks back and as is always the case I was blown away by the numerous emails and donations that I received in response.  I really did get emotional about it all.  The support that is expressed by everyone not to mention the generous financial support for LAF is incredibly humbling.  My personal fundraising is over $4,500 and Mintz’s Mentschen is pushing for a top 5 team finish with $13,600 to-date.  The same plea still applies as we’re continuing to get new team members for walking/running/riding.  To either join our team or to donate you can utilize my personal fundraising page by clicking here.  Thanks!!

No comments: