Monday, February 27, 2012

Eve before

I don’t really have much to say right now but since tonight is not just any old eve before treatment moment I feel like I should at least make a post to mark the date.

Yes, as happens whenever we start a new chemo protocol I’m a bit anxious about tomorrow. Mostly it’s just fear of the unknown and that I want to quickly establish the routine I’ll need for this specific chemo protocol. Will nausea be an issue? Will taxotere affect me as it did in 2008 when I had mouth sores, lack of appetite, and significant weight loss? Will my immune system be impacted to where we’ll need to use neulasta as we have in the past? What is this 2-weeks ON, 1-week OFF schedule going to be like?

I’m not scared… just anxious. I feel very well cared for by Dr. Richards and the nursing staff. I look forward to giving Debbie, Marie, and Sharon big hugs and to get this show on the road. Dr. Richards will have to settle for a hearty handshake. Ha!!

Of course one of my biggest hopes as we get underway with Chemo Party 2012 is that I’ll be able to continue bike riding during treatment with meaningful frequency. Following the results of the PET/CT I have had strong rides of 42 and 40 miles that help me just as much mentally as they do physically. We’ll see how things go.

I’m thrilled to say that today we had two people register for our Mintz’s Mentschen LiveSTRONG team in Philadelphia. Most importantly these are two people that have not ridden with us before. This is exactly what we need as we strive for our goal of $40,000 this year. Hopefully this is a positive sign for many more that will be able to join us. Keep those cards and letters coming! And.... if you aren't able to ride/walk/run with us if you're able to consider a donation it would be greatly appreciated (yes, I haven't really been clear that there is also an opportunity to run or walk as part of the Mentschen LiveSTRONG team).

No comments: