Thursday, February 23, 2012

Deja vu all over again... all over again

Yes, I know that I’ve probably frustrated a bunch of people by not posting more quickly but really the past few weeks have been action packed.

First, let’s wrap up the Cycle for Survival topic. Last year the event raised a record $4.7 million and with the $6.1 million check presentation at our event early this month clearly this year had broken all CFS records. Imagine our surprise this week when we received emails broadcasting that total fundraising had surpassed $8 million! Absolutely amazing. Thanks again to everyone that donated so generously.

With 2011 as yet another year where my vacation days were used for chemo treatments I was very excited for Karsyn and Matthew’s wedding to enjoy a very happy occasion as well as a couple of days with extended family on Marco Island. It was everything I hoped for and more. It was a very unique gathering that included Erin, Bailey, and Sasha as well as Amy’s sisters and all of the Durkin family. Below is a picture of the Mintz clan from the wedding weekend taken at Amy’s sister Robin’s house.

Bailey, Erin, and me in the back. Amy and Sasha in front.

And at 7:45am on the morning after we returned from Florida I had my quarterly PET/CT. It was Valentine’s Day and since my recurrences have been like clockwork in February each year I had a sneaking suspicion for what might happen. And unfortunately I was right.

The metastases on my liver showed enough activity to where we need to start with chemotherapy again. My first treatment will be this coming Tuesday, 2/28. Amy and I met with Dr. Richards and we wound up choosing one of the chemo options that had been suggested by Memorial Sloan-Kettering when we went there at this time last year. The drugs we chose are two that I’ve had before but never together, docetaxel and irinotecan (aka taxotere and camptosar). Docetaxel is one of the drugs I had back when this all started in 2008 and it contributed to what was a challenging and “interesting” chemo experience. While I’m confident docetaxel will do its job I’m also hoping that it doesn’t kick my butt too badly. Especially since this will all be administered as two weeks on and one week off. i.e. I’ll be getting a treatment two weeks in a row before a one week break.

That about sums it up except that, of course, this recent development definitely kicks up the emotion that I have for our Mintz’s Mentschen participation in the 2012 Philly LiveSTRONG event. As usual it is in August but this year we’ve already set some big goals for our team. As you all know, we have collectively raised over $140,000 through these past 4 years of riding in Philly. Last year alone we had 23 people raise over $34,300. This year we want to reach $40,000 and to do that we’re making a plea for new Mentschen team members. Event routes range from 10 miles all the way to a full 100. I can’t predict what route I’ll be able to ride come August but I have ridden the 10-miler while in treatment before and I know that minimally I’ll be able to do that again. Please join us!! Experience level is NOT a factor. This event is a ride and not a race and we'll be preparing by riding/training together in advance. Believe me, while having an absolute blast of a time it is not uncommon for people to come away saying that it was a life-changing experience for them. And the minimum fundraising requirement is not at all difficult at only $250. Email (jhm100@gmail.com) or call me (917-533-9097) with any questions. Click here to register and join us. I'd be thrilled to have you join us.

If you aren’t in a position to ride with us please consider supporting us with a donation of any size. Heartfelt thanks in advance for your generosity! Click here to donate on my fundraising webpage.

No comments: