Monday, January 9, 2012

No Rules

I hope that 2012 has gotten off to a good start for everyone.

I have a routine appointment with Dr. Richards next Tuesday for a port flush and I should even get my prescription for the February PET/CT. It would be good to get the Rx because I’ll get my choice of date/time when scheduling the actual scan. Not that I haven’t been through this just a few times before but I’ll still be a bit anxious with hoping that my chemo vacation won’t be ending so soon.

Although February of the past 4 years has rhythmically coincided with the start of chemo I am hoping to break that streak. Since beginning this break from chemo following my November 1st treatment I have been pushing myself on the bike (as I have mentioned more than once…. I know). I have plunged ahead with little regard for thoughts of, “it’s a bit too cold to ride…” or “there’s no way you should be trying to ride this far…”. After a ride or two where I stepped single-ride mileage up into the high 20’s I took significant leaps to a couple of rides of 46-miles before getting sidetracked by the holidays.

This past Saturday I was back on the bike and although I had no business even attempting it I was hoping for a 50-miler. We wound up finishing just short of that at 49 miles but it was warm enough that I was compelled to do it in SHORTS! You should have seen the look on the face of other riders as we passed them on the road. It made me feel like a real rebel. Ha!

I have leveraged the knowledge of my body that I acquired in my youth while running track in high school and college. I know what will and won’t cause me harm and getting a little tired ain’t gonna hurt me (not too much anyway…). I’ll continue enjoying my “no rules” approach to cycling for now and hope that my 3 month break turns into at least 6. Please come out and join us! Shoot me an email if you’re interested.

1 comment:

Erin said...

You're such an inspiration, Jack! I really hope the chemo vacation continues. :)