Sunday, August 16, 2009

One month later...

Wow, how time flies when you’re having fun.

It’s been exactly one month since my last chemo treatment and I’ve transitioned so quickly into a frenzied post-treatment lifestyle that I’ve been a bit remiss with posting to this blog.

As I’ve alluded to, things are going very well. In fact, on August 1st I was able to join others from the Mintz’s Mentschen group to ride in the Princeton Freewheelers bicycling event. A combination of peer pressure and lack of patience had me riding a distance that I really had no business attempting. But on what was a fantastic weather day I rode 38-miles with Gary and Joanne Vencius. As far as I was concerned this was a significant “victory” and clear indication that I’m going to be able to achieve a decent level of fitness fairly quickly.

And that is a good thing since the Philly LiveSTRONG Challenge cycling event is next weekend and I’ll be having to cover 45 hilly miles. The event weekend will be another humbling and emotional experience for me since I have both family and many close friends riding along with me in support of the Lance Armstrong Foundation. You all have supported me to the tune of over $5,100 raised in my personal fundraising account and the Mintz’s Mentschen team is rapidly approaching the $20,000 threshold! Thank you all for your generosity and support.

I’m making this blog post from Denver as Amy, Sasha, and I are enjoying time with Phyllis, Jack, and Jason Quinn. This next week will have us taking Sasha up to Fort Collins where she’ll be a freshman at Colorado State this fall. Amy and I will return to New Jersey in time for the LiveSTRONG ride as empty nesters. Wow, what a whirlwind of events and emotions!


Quad and aerobic training via stair climb at Alpine Visitor Center
Trail Ridge Road, Rocky Mountain National Park (11,799 feet)


Elk in Rocky Mountain National Park


Flowers, Estes Park, Colorado

No comments: