Sunday, April 26, 2009

Humbled but still living STRONG

Today was an important day.

Although I remain as positive as ever, and try to live each day with the best LiveSTRONG spirit I can muster, today I endured a very humbling experience. It was an experience that dealt me a heavy dose of reality. As a realist I see this as a good thing but it made me feel badly for my Mintz’s Mentschen friends that had to care for me instead of being able to enjoy a bike ride in glorious summer-like weather.

All of my faithful blog readers know that I’ve generally been feeling “well” and that when the weather and treatment timing has aligned that I’ve been able to sneak in bike rides in the 20-25 mile range. And that is exactly what was planned for today; a 25-mile ride out of Washington’s Crossing. The one significant wrinkle though, and one that I truly was very conscious of before the ride, was the near 90-degree temperature and cloudless sun-filled skies.

I think you all can guess the punch line at this point. I got to the 5.4 mile mark and was completely done for the day. Even after a rest in the shade there was no way that I could consider getting back on the bike.

So for as “good” as I feel I need to remember that I’m still on chemo and not quite to the finish line yet. A treatment on May 7th will be closely followed by a PET/CT scan. I don’t want to jinx things but at this point I can’t hide that I’m really hoping this scan is the beginning of the end to treatment. It’s really starting to cramp my style…. LOL.

No comments: