Wednesday, May 23, 2012

OK, now what?


After all of the waiting the PET/CT has come and gone and now we’re dealing with its aftermath since the results were not good.  For the first time since this saga began we’ve hit a chemo cocktail that didn’t bring positive results.

In February the scan showed metastases on my liver, as has been the case for 3 plus years, and we started a new set of chemo drugs that I had had before although not together.  And now after 3 months the largest metastasis is about twice the size.  So we’re scrambling to try and come up with a Plan B.  Since my staging is stage 4 the basic standard of care remains chemotherapy and it is the core of my treatment plan.  This doesn’t mean that we won’t be seeking other potential treatment but the initial challenge is to try and come up with chemo drugs that we haven’t tried yet.  Since I’m now in year 5 coming up with new drugs to try is nearly impossible because I’ve had just about all of the different drugs at least once.

One thing we haven’t tried yet is to see if I have the HER2 or EGFR receptors.  Only around 30% of people have these receptors but if it turns out that I’m one of those then it opens the door to using drugs such as herceptin that have had good results.  So this is going to be our step 1 and that means that I’ll be having a liver biopsy to test for those receptors.  The biopsy will probably be next Wednesday, May 30th at St. Peter’s in New Brunswick.

I will also be looking to schedule an appointment with the Liver Metastases group of doctors at Sloan-Kettering.  I believe that this specific group didn’t exist until relatively recently and so I’m hoping to get some new perspective from them.

With all of that said the weather this past weekend was terrific.  And since I was scheduled to ride in an event that supported the Multiple Sclerosis Society and my friend Missy Gervasini I stubbornly held to that plan despite my not feeling that well physically.  The ride was a major physical challenge but I enjoyed riding the beginning miles with Missy and the remainder of the 20 miles with Bobby Wiener.  It was a fun day indeed.

On Sunday I had a ride scheduled with Grace, Stephanie, Dan, and Kathy so once again my “no rules” frame of mind won out and I was able to struggle through a 30-mile ride.  This was possible in large part to the magic massage skills of Kathy Lynch.

The numbers for both Mentschen team members and fundraising for LiveSTRONG are growing finally.  As always, if you can join us to walk, run, or ride that would be terrific.  Donations of any amount are deeply appreciated.  Click here to access myLiveSTRONG web page where you can either join us or donate.  THANKS!!

No comments: