Thursday, March 12, 2009

White blood cell count looking good

So, there’s good news and bad news…..

First the good news. The neulasta injection I had last Friday is doing it’s job and my white blood cell count was 7.5 when I had my office visit with Dr. Richards yesterday. That’s a far cry from the 0.8 that played a part in landing me in the hospital. Considering that normal range is 4-12 I feel “safe” for the remainder of this 3-week treatment cycle. I'm still on Xeloda through next Wednesday.

The bad news is that this next treatment is likely to see a significant change in dosage. I’ve looked down the barrel of a dosage increase before and it all worked out fine so I’m not shaking in my boots. I'm definitely a little nervous though since I know that the dosage change will likely push me into the downside of side affects. I’ll be riding those zofran pills hard to get me through it!! LOL.

Sasha rode shotgun on my visit to see Dr. Richards. I enjoyed having her there to meet Dr. Richards, my favorite nurse Beth, and the office staff. Dr. Richards even gave her a quick tour of the treatment area while I was working with the office staff to deal with insurance company junk. And for those of you that are wondering, NO, Sasha didn’t watch when Beth accessed my port to take the blood chemistry. LOL!

This next week should be quiet although I’ll post any news that’s fit to share. The one bit of excitement will come on 3/19 when we head into Manhattan for Amy’s birthday and to partake in an Allman Brothers concert at the Beacon with our friends Elisa and Joe.

No comments: