Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sunday, June 22nd.... simple pleasures

Wow, how time flies when you’re having fun. I didn’t realize that it’s been two full weeks since my last blog post. Although not too much of note has happened in those two weeks I can report to you that I feel dramatically better at this point. Remember that this particular treatment cycle has afforded me an extra week of recovery due to scheduling conflicts with end of school year events for Amy. As of right now it’s been exactly one full week that my eating ability has returned nearly to normal. I have been satisfying food craving after food craving and putting back on some of those pounds that I had lost. I know it sounds funny but some of these meals have nearly moved me to tears they were so good. How easy it is for us to take simple acts like eating for granted. Believe me, the value of simple pleasures such as the joy of a good meal with family and/or good friends becomes very clear when it is suddenly an impossibility. A special meal for me, one that takes me back to my childhood and special Sunday breakfasts with family, is something that I was able to partake in this morning. Many of you will not be able to relate at all to this but the picture below of lox/bagels, whitefish, and cheese blintz was heavenly for me. Ummmm good! LOL!



This weekend and the glorious weather we had on Saturday brought another opportunity to catch up on simple pleasures. I was able to dust off our tandem bicycle so that Bailey could join me on a ride with some of my Mintz’s Mentschen friends. Despite my being incredibly weak and out of shape it was a thrill to enjoy the exercise, good friends, and an absolutely beautiful day with Bailey. We rode just over 18 miles and I’m only saddened with knowing that it’s going to be another few weeks before I’m up to trying it again.

As I gear up for treatment #7 on this coming Wednesday I’m moved by knowing that our Mintz’s Mentschen fundraising total is now up to $22,850. This total was bumped significantly today by an extremely generous donation from a high school track buddy of mine, Mike Halloran. The donation itself is extremely humbling to me but Mike also wrote a poem that included some words and a message that I coincidentally try to live by. He wrote “….For in the end, we are not judged by the # of races we won or lost. Our measure of success is how we ran the race…”. I thanked Mike for joining the good fight against cancer and I pointed out how one of my personal heroes, Harry Chapin, had a similar message in one of his lyrics where he sang, “… it’s got to be the going not the getting there that’s good…”. My heartfelt thanks go out to everyone that has supported Mintz’s Mentschen through financial donation and/or by joining as a team member.

And Amy’s Army…. Oh, Amy’s Army… another constant source of love and support. The cards, emails, food, etc. are terrific. We can’t say thank you often enough or find the words that express the real depth of our gratitude.

On Wednesday we will be making the appointment for my July CT scan. I will be in touch to let you all know the details for that all important day.

No comments: